Thursday 22 May 2014

Biking with high heels in the Netherlands



Biking in the Netherlands
Biking with heels
(not mine heels though in the picture).

On Tuesday I really felt I'm starting to get integrated into the Dutch culture.

On Tuesday I did bike wiht my high heels!

Weather was of course helping, and giving me the inspiration to bike in first place: it was one of those sunny and warm day.... Sooo delicious.

My outfit for that day was including heels, and I didn't want to change it. But I also wanted to take my bike!

In the end I told to myself "if they can do it, why cannot I?"

I mean, if Dutch women can ride their bikes with heels, why should I not be able to do the same?

It cannot be that "only" because they are used to bike every day, in whatever weather condition, since the age of 2 (or maybe even earlier...), while last time I did ride a bike before coming to the Netherlands was probably almost 10 years ago.... This cannot be the only reason why I could not ride a bike with heels.

So in the end I decided to give it a try.

And, surprise surprise... It was not that bad! Yes, it is true, every now and then I risked to loose the grip on the pedal, but in the end I managed to keep it, and everything was fine. And I discovered that when stopping for a traffic light, it is even easier to keep the balance with heels!

So, all in all, balance of biking with heels, is positive!

Next step will be sending a text from my phone while biking. Possibly under the rain.

That will be the moment in which I will say "Now I'm really getting Dutch".

And you? Which was your more "Dutch" way to ride a bike?

5 commenti:

  1. I can't wait for my first time to bike with heels on! Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elle Be, thank you, and welcome on this page!

      Delete
  2. Tipycal bike in Nederland, have a nice summer time, greeting from Belgium

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey
    Infrastructure quality in Netherlands is rated to be at 4.23. It indicates a good quality - roads, railroad, ports and other facilities are adapted and regularly maintained to handle high levels of traffic at all times, as well as most probably there are special facilities for handling high intensity and/or special traffic or vehicles (e.g. motorways a.k.a. autobahns and deepwater ports).
    http://www.confiduss.com/en/jurisdictions/netherlands/infrastructure/
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Embracing Dutch culture with style! Biking in high heels on a sunny day in the Netherlands is the epitome of fashion-meets-function – a delightful blend of flair and practicality!
    Please keep me update @
    Name :- Sunbeds Dubai
    Website:- https://plushtan.ae/

    ReplyDelete

Love reading your thoughts

 

Copyright © 2013. Expat in the Netherlands - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by BTDesigner Published by Super Cool Templates
Proudly powered by Blogger